Lisa Rose's Blog

she's a rebel, she's a saint, she's the salt of the earth, and she's dangerous

Saturday, June 24, 2006

Quick Update...

...while I'm at a computer, before I run off because I'm hungry!

I have more students now, so I'll actually be busier this week. Other activities: stripping paint off the bathroom walls, keeping up the garden, lying in my hammock (ahh!), spilling fish food on the cat (don't ask).

Linguistic note: I believe that the word "just" is becoming what I call a "filler word", like the words "like" and "you know" and "umm". It's not quite as broad yet, but it's on my linguistic/sociological radar now. Maybe I'll go into a broader explanation sometime, as I've been meaning to, but I don't have time now. Here are some examples of the ways I've heard it:

First I noticed it prominently in prayer in some circles, a la, "Father, I just want to thank you for just making me how you wanted...."

But it's broader than that now, e.g. "I just want to thank you for coming down here today."
"It's, just, so hard to find good fresh fruit."

Anyone else hear any others? Leave a comment. I'd love to factor them into my linguistic analysis.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

  • At 4:14 PM, Blogger Jeffrey Stuart Martin said…

    Just a quick note to say that I sometimes use it this way: as part of a phrase sort of apologizing for wasting your time by writing this....

     

Post a Comment

<< Home